And we must take that control back. It would seem that WE have forgotten, that politicians are elected to represent US, the people. Yet time after time, the appearance has been that those with the most money, win.
This is 100% wrong. Because "most money" generally has meant piles of donations from corporate interests, and those of the rich.
Alberta election laws must be revamped. And I am going to
Some of the things I would like to see changed are:
- Fixed election dates
- Donations limited to people. Not unions. Not corporations.
- A low cap on the amount donated. Say $500.00 max.
- An equal limit on advertising by all parties.
- Maximum limit of aired tv commercials and newspaper advertising. Perhaps no more than 10.
- Accountability in election promises. No more excuses. No more "but I wasn't aware".
- Recall legislation.
- FULL disclosure in government expenses. No more hidden funds.
- All expenses to be searchable via the web. No more than a 30 day delay.
- No more "hiding" behind FOIP rules. WE are the taxpayers. WE have a RIGHT to know.
- Mandatory public candidate forums. All candidates are required to evenly contribute to the cost of holding these debates. All forums must be held no later than 2 weeks prior to the election. Community halls are NOT that expensive, especially when costs are shared. And of course, all candidates will be required to attend.
Nothing will change, unless we... the people... speak out. If there ever was a time when voting was needed by all the people, this election IS that time. Please vote.