Monday, October 31, 2011

The 50k tweet trip dedication

As I roll past the 50,000th tweet, it seems like yesterday when I signed up for twitter.  Like many, the reason I came is completely different than the reason I stayed.  Yet the reason I stay is the same as the reason I started with.

For decades, I've seen "the system" being broken. Feel free to choose what "the system" is, for it has multiple meanings depending on the issue at hand. Political, medical, legal, social... it's an endless list.

I've followed the "occupy" movement, and I'm pleased it is finding attention all over the world. We really need to get our heads out of the sand and wake up a little.  I know for many people, it hurts too much to take that time to learn about the world.  Those causing that hurt actually depend on people like you to not care, because that is the only way they can get away with what they do.

The 4 major banks in Canada have been averaging $2 billion dollars per quarter, per bank, per year.  That's $32 billion dollars a year in profits... yet they have the 'need' to raise service fees.

Many major corporations rake in billions of dollars in profits, yet pay no taxes.

Politicians waste money hand over fist and expect taxpayers (the non-extreme-rich ones) to just keep putting more and more back to cover their lack of wisdom and intelligence.

I've heard many people complain that the 'occupy movement' doesn't have a clue what they are doing, they can't nail down to specifics what the issues are.  Yet it is so easy to see, if you would only open your eyes.  If you really have to ask then maybe you have missed out on what has been happening because you are afraid to ask those questions...

What we have now, is a world based on Marketing. It doesn't have to be truthful, it only has to be catchy.  And those in marketing will do their best to find that sweet spot to part your money into their pocket. After all, that is what they are paid to do. Don't get me wrong... I am not saying all people in marketing are scum bags, because that is not the truth. Marketing is a good thing, when done with the right intentions.

Something to ponder on... You've probably seen the recent ads on TV that talk about "Why sign into a long term electrical contract... I mean really...".  Done with a pretty face and smile so it makes you feel good and strong. Remember, it is marketing... and you should be questioning the reason why.

Perhaps one reason is, they will make more money if you don't sign that contract.

New and improved in today's market place will, more often than not, simply mean that "we changed the product (therefore it is new and now costs us less to produce) and we have improved our profits at your expense."

And with that said, I dedicate this blog post to those in the world who have their eyes open.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on 50,000 tweets Gary! You are so right. Opening ones eyes and becoming aware of the realities of our broken system is painful. Very painful. Sometimes its so difficult to deal with that carrying on the same way as a cog in this system becomes nearly impossible. The Occupy movement is fantastic - people who are aware and of like-mind can begin a dialogue instead of being pained alone by inequalities and help to inform others who choose to keep their heads buried in the sand.

    Congrats again! Down with consumerism and on with citizenship :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mentioned to one of the Edmonton City Councilors today, "I figure if we don't wake up now, a few years down the road ... the price is too high. And I can't justify making my daughter, and her kids yet to be born, pay that price."

    We have to question 'the system'... sooner is better.

    ReplyDelete